Comparing the Locations of Supernovae to CO (2-1) Emission in Their Host Galaxies
學年 111
學期 2
出版(發表)日期 2023-02-15
作品名稱 Comparing the Locations of Supernovae to CO (2-1) Emission in Their Host Galaxies
著者 Ness Mayker Chen; Adam K. Leroy; Laura A. Lopez; Samantha Benincasa; Mélanie Chevance; Simon C. O. Glover; Annie Hughes; Kathryn Kreckel; Sumit Sarbadhicary; Jiayi Sun; Todd A. Thompson; Dyas Utomo; Frank Bigiel; Guillermo A. Blanc; Daniel A. Dale; Kathryn Grasha; J. M. Diederik Kruijssen; Hsi-An Pan; Miguel Querejeta; Eva Schinnerer; Elizabeth J. Watkins; and Thomas G. Williams
著錄名稱、卷期、頁數 The Astrophysical Journal 944(1)
摘要 We measure the molecular gas environment near recent (<100 yr old) supernovae (SNe) using ∼1'' or ≤150 pc resolution CO (2–1) maps from the PHANGS–Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) survey of nearby star-forming galaxies. This is arguably the first such study to approach the scales of individual massive molecular clouds (Mmol ≳ 105.3 M⊙). Using the Open Supernova Catalog, we identify 63 SNe within the PHANGS–ALMA footprint. We detect CO (2–1) emission near ∼60% of the sample at 150 pc resolution, compared to ∼35% of map pixels with CO (2–1) emission, and up to ∼95% of the SNe at 1 kpc resolution, compared to ∼80% of map pixels with CO (2–1) emission. We expect the ∼60% of SNe within the same 150 pc beam, as a giant molecular cloud will likely interact with these clouds in the future, consistent with the observation of widespread SN–molecular gas interaction in the Milky Way, while the other ∼40% of SNe without strong CO (2–1) detections will deposit their energy in the diffuse interstellar medium, perhaps helping drive large-scale turbulence or galactic outflows. Broken down by type, we detect CO (2–1) emission at the sites of ∼85% of our 9 stripped-envelope SNe (SESNe), ∼40% of our 34 Type II SNe, and ∼35% of our 13 Type Ia SNe, indicating that SESNe are most closely associated with the brightest CO (2–1) emitting regions in our sample. Our results confirm that SN explosions are not restricted to only the densest gas, and instead exert feedback across a wide range of molecular gas densities.
關鍵字 Supernovae;Type II supernovae;Type Ia supernovae;Type Ib supernovae;Type Ic supernovae;Molecular gas;Interstellar medium;Stellar feedback;Galaxy evolution;Astrophysics - Astrophysics of Galaxies
語言 en_US
期刊性質 國外
收錄於 SCI
國別 USA
出版型式 ,電子版

機構典藏連結 ( )